Put you hand up if just making it from morning to night seems too bloody hard. Wow that’s a lot of hands. Now clearly, I can’t really see your hands but I know they’re there. Well guess what……..it’s normal, you’re normal. Whatever normal is 😂😂! This is why down time is so important.
Unfortunately in this day and age there are way too many of us that feel like this.
As I have said many, many times we are all living too fast, too stimulated and yes, WE create our own busy. That’s right, for the most part we have no one to blame but ourselves. The catch phrase in business these days is ‘work smarter, not harder’ so why can’t we apply it to our lives in general?
WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?
Let’s all take a step back….if the dishwasher doesn’t get emptied before you leave for work in the morning will your world end? No of course not and this is how ridiculously we think…..we are on auto pilot most of the time…..and set for speed. We need to slow down, the days, months and years are going fast enough as it is. I mean it’s already nearing the end of June…..where have the past 6 months gone?
A friend of mine informed me a couple of days ago it was 27 Fridays until Christmas…..WHAT? It feels like I’ve just dismantled the tree and boxed the decorations up…..if it goes any faster we might as well leave that tree up for the year!!!!! Maybe we could use it to dry clothes on…..after all the line is always full, right? The dryer is constantly whirring….a little extra drying space could come in handy.
Yes, that was tongue in cheek but I guarantee it’s how most of you feel. Like a hamster constantly running its wheel, at some point you have to step off, if you don’t you’ll hit burn out way too soon and too often.
I have a couple of friends that switch off and take weekends away quite often. Granted they no longer have little children which allows them to do so, but it’s a great way to turn off and recharge. I also love seeing their pics of each and every meal they have while they’re away. After all sharing is caring !!!!!
They say if you find something you love, you never have to work a day in your life……while this is a great statement and I am 100% for doing something you love, don’t kid yourself, you’re still working!!!! Even if you are running your own business, trust me……you’re working. You might not have to answer to someone above you but you do have to answer to to your family, the utility companies, the landlord etc….
Plus it takes a lot of hard work and many hours to build a business, no matter how small, both physically and mentally. The key is the emotional cost of starting a business, there is a constant pressure of self doubt and the need to succeed.
It’s not just women or mothers that need to find down time, men do too. They also need alone time….yep, the man cave impact!!! Where down time for you is a block of chocolate and a rom com, do not think it works for him to be having to sit there with you. This is where the man cave comes in, or playing games in another room…..I repeat, he needs his down and alone time too!!!!
Here’s a list of easy to achieve down time moments
* Skip the shower and have a long soak in the tub
* Turn off the TV and turn on some music
* If you are home alone, turn off everything and enjoy the quiet
* Read a book, no not your Kindle…….a book, with real pages. It can be a simple mag, but read every article and let go of everything else
* Go see a movie, buy the popcorn…….and don’t feel guilty about it!!!!!
* Grab a coffee, tea, chai latte or whatever you enjoy and go to your favourite spot to drink it. For me that would be near the ocean of course
* Light a candle and put your feet up with that block of chocolate, drag out a rom com you love and enjoy. Don’t forget to grab the tissues before you settle in.
* Go for a walk. It’s not a race or a marathon it’s about relaxation. Take your music with you so you concentrate on the lyrics not on everything else you think you should be doing. If you are female and doing this alone, only put 1 earbud in, that way you are still aware of what is happening around you…….a great safety tip!
This is just a short list and if you use your imagination you will certainly come up with many more that suit your needs. Either way, just do it, your mind and body will thank you. The most important thing to remember is not to feel guilty for taking down time, that would just impact negatively on the way you approach your own time.
Just remember, you can’t pour from an empty jug and this is definitely a case of taking to be able to give. This isn’t about being selfish it is about being able to give the very best of you when you need to. A little self love and care never hurts anyone and you will notice the improvements in your coping skills too.
So down time is the phrase of the day, try it……it’s good for you.
I’d love to hear some of your down time ideas, drop me a comment below and let’s get everyone on board.